- “QU4RTETS” - TOURING EXHIBITION and COLLABORATION
- "QU4RTETS” — touring exhibition/collaboration with Bruce Herman, Makoto Fujimura (http://www.makotofujimura.com/), composer Christopher Theofanidis (http://www.theofanidismusic.com/), and theologian Jeremy Begbie (http://divinity.duke.edu/academics/faculty/jeremy-begbie).
- The project is collaborative a response to T. S. Eliot's generative poem Four Quartets and features four commissioned works each by Herman and Fujimura, and an original commissioned score for piano and string quartet by Theofanidis. The quintet entitled “At The Still Point” was first performed at Baylor University in mid-January, 2013, and will debut at Duke University on January 27th with the Ciompi Quartet and Jeremy Begbie at piano. Duke University Chapel is hosting the exhibition and concert performance, along with a scholarly colloquium surrounding the exhibit––sponsored by the Duke University Initiatives in Theology and the Arts (DITA - http://divinity.duke.edu/initiatives-centers/dita ) and Duke University Chapel, with participation by the English and Art departments there.
- February 27th at 7:30 pm ––Theofanidis’ “At the Still Point” for QU4RTETS will also premiere at Carnegie Hall in New York on Wednesday, February 27th at 7:30 pm. Performed by the world-renowned Henschel Quartet, with Donald Berman at the piano. The next night, Thursday, February 28th, at 8pm the piece will be performed again at Sprague Hall, Yale University School of Music.
- February 21 through March 8, 2013––The exhibition will be on view at Yale Institute of Sacred Music from––with a performance, reception, and panel discussion with the artists on Saturday, March 2, 2013 from 4––6pm for more information visit: http://www.yale.edu/ism/events/ExhibitionFourQU4RTETS.html
- SUMMARY OF TOUR (as of January 2013)
- November 29, 2012 –January 17, 2013 The Martin Museum, Baylor University:
- January 28 – February 12, 2013 Duke University Chapel, Duke University:
- February 28, 8pm “At the Still Point” Yale University, School of Music, Sprague Hall
- February 21—March 8 QU4RTETS exhibition Yale University Institute of Sacred Music
- April 13 – May 1, 2013 Barrington Center for the Arts, Gordon College, Wenham, MA
- May 8––September 21––Wheaton College, Wheaton IL
- October 5, 6––IAM NYC conference – venue to be announced
- October 24––November, 2013––Westmont Art Museum, Westmont College, Santa Barbara, CA
- EXHIBITIONJuly 1 and October, 2012 - Spencer Hill Gallery in Corning, NY (spencerhillgallery.com)
Visit on Facebook (facebook.com/SpencerHillGallery)
- EXHIBITION/ TALKS/ ARTIST RETREATSeptember, 2012 through January, 2013 — exhibition of Herman’s Magnificat altarpieces at Laity Lodge, Kerrville, TX ( http://www.laitylodge.org/ ) Herman will lead an artist’s retreat at Laity Lodge, October 11 — 14, 2012 “Making and Breaking” -- an exploration of the creative/destructive process in the making of art (see "Lectures” for more information).
- EXHIBITION / LECTUREJanuary 5 - February 15, 2012 — “Real Presences: Recent Figurative Work of Bruce Herman”,
College of the Ozarks, Point Lookout, MO — opening reception and convocation address to be announced soon
- EXHIBITION / LECTUREOctober 13, 2011 5-7 p.m. — “Face to Face: Recent Figurative Work of Bruce Herman”,
(Lied Art Center, Bryan Oliver Gallery); Lecture by the artist: “Seeking the Face: Art, Faith, and Imagination” Oct. 13, 7:30 p.m.
(Weyerhaeuser Hall, Robinson Teaching Theatre), Whitworth University, Spokane, WA: